Sunday, December 30, 2012

Coffee Station Beginnings

I wanted a dedicated station for coffee in our dining room, but was having trouble finding the type of table I liked (vintage-y or dark wood, counter height, and ample storage space, kind of like this) for a good price. On my way into town during a blizzard, and obviously not driving as cautiously as I should, I saw a potential table in the window of a used furniture shop and decided to stop in the next day to take a look. It was only table height and didn't have much storage... but it was only $50 so I bought it! Eventually it will get moved to the living room as a sofa table after we find the perfect coffee station table, but it will work great in the dining room for now.


We have that same honey oak wood on our floors and cabinets, which is already way too much orange, so it was decided to re-stain the tabletop to a dark wood. I unscrewed the top, stripped the old stain off, cleaned and sanded the wood, beat it up with an assortment of hard objects for a worn look, stained, sanded, stained, sanded, sealed, sanded, re-screwed, and changed the knob. And here is the finished result:



The knob is from the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I bought 10 or so for about $.25 each. The others are currently being used as a face on a snowman. :) 


Here is where you can see some of the different marks made by beating the table up, using a hammer, screwdriver, wire brush, bag of nails, etc. The stain settles in the indents, leaving a darker color.


I want to put overhead storage shelves in, but as this won't be our "forever" table, I will wait for now. And yes, we do have a coffee station before a kitchen table. C'est la vie!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment